At Brookside we have established a safeguarding culture.
This means that:
- Children are protected from harm
- There is an open and honest culture to promote the safety and well-being of everyone in the organization
- Children are able to thrive because they feel secure
- Everyone in the organization is clear about their roles, responsibilities and boundaries
- Allegations are dealt with effectively
- Staff and volunteers are protected from misplaced allegations
- The organization shows that welfare is a priority
- Health and safety is everyone’s responsibility
Parents and Carers are able to support our safeguarding culture by:
- Sharing information with staff which may affect safety of children
- Being aware of health and safety risks and reporting them to staff
- Supporting the no jewellery policy of our schools by removing earrings before school starts
- Providing a P.E. kit for hygiene
- Ensuring that uniform is ‘fit for purpose’, that your child is able to move freely, be warm or cool enough and can run without injury
- Providing a drinking water bottle to help your child stay hydrated
- Supporting our healthy school policy by not providing sugary snacks
Please see our Policies and Important Documents page for our Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy.
The school has been given the opportunity to take part in a project that will run jointly between schools and the Metropolitan Police Service. This project is known as Operation Encompass.
Operation Encompass is the notification to schools that a child (under 18) has been exposed to, or involved in, any domestic incident. Children can be significantly physically or emotionally harmed when this is the case and the information received will be used to make sure the right support is available for children and their families. This will ordinarily be done by the start of the next school day.
Operation Encompass will ensure that a specially trained member of the school staff, known as a Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL), is informed. The DSL can then use the information that has been shared, in confidence, to ensure the wellbeing of the child.
The school will be able to make provisions or adjustments to assist for any difficulties experienced by the child, or the families involved.
We are keen to offer the best support possible to all our pupils and we believe this will be extremely beneficial for all those involved.
If you have any concerns or questions then please contact one of our school’s Designated Safeguarding Leads and we will be happy to discuss this further. Further information about the project can be found on our school’s website and is available at the school office on request.